Montrose FC New Away Kit

New Away Kit For Season 2022/23

Order Now

Dunfermline 1 Montrose 0

Montrose Fall to Late Winner at East End Park



Next Match

Montrose v Clyde

Match Details

202/23 Season Tickets Out Now


Read More

Buy Now

Season Ticket Instalments

CLUB 500


Read More & Join Today

Montrose 1 Cove Rangers 2

Montrose were without four key players in Quinn, Webster, Cammy B and Gardyne and keeper Lennox was replaced by Fleming very late before the start of the game. In a tough game against league leaders Cove Rangers Manager Petrie was forced to use his squad to the full.

Referee David Dickinson got the game underway and Matty Allan sent a long ball down the right which ended in a free kick to Montrose which was headed away by Cove. At the other end Fleming had to cope with a free kick from 35 yards by Cove but held it easily. It was not as easy the next time however as a cross from the right was poorly defended by Montrose and McAllister laid it on a plate for MITCH MEGGINSON to tap it in for 1-0 to Cove after only 6 minutes. It was just what Montrose didn’t want and early on gave then even more of a mountain to climb to claw their way back against a strong Cove side.

Montrose were having plenty of possession in the first 20 minutes and were in and around the Cove area but the trigger was not pulled and chances came and went. Blair Yule was yellow carded for a late foul but the resultant free kick to Montrose was easily dealt with. Cove used the flanks to good effect and Fleming did well again to hold a free kick from 30 yards then came the best chance for Montrose as Watson kept the ball in play inside the Cove area and laid the ball back but there were no Mo players to finish it off. Pity, because in the next move it became 2-0 to Cove on 32 minutes when a cross from the right again by Logan was headed in by unmarked FRASER FYVIE.

It was end to end stuff but Cove were taking the chances offered to them until Montrose finally came good on 38 minutes to pull it back to 2-1. A corner from the right was headed back into the mix and finished off by CRAIG JOHSNTON who rarely misses from a yard out. In the remaining minutes of the first half referee Dickinson produced 3 yellow cards in successive minutes, firstly to Megginson who looked to be in a tussle with Watson then surprisingly Watson was also booked. Masson for Montrose was the next to see yellow when he clearly won the ball but was deemed to have gone in a bit hard. Half-time at 2-1 and still all to do for Montrose to pull it back and get something from the game.

To start the second half Montrose replaced Blair Lyons who had a quite game, with Lewis Milne and early on it looked as a bit of ill feeling was creeping into the game as both sides held nothing back. McKenzie dealt with a long Montrose shot and a free kick by Milne was hit too long. With the 60-minute mark come and gone Cove were pushing for the goal which would have made life easier for them but Montrose made a change with Watson coming off to be replaced by Simpson. Cove also made a change with Jamie Masson on for McAllister as they tried to close the game down. Minutes later Megginson was replaced by McIntosh then Terry Masson was replaced by Ross Campbell on 85 minutes. It was all Montrose in the final few minutes, a Milne shot was too high then keeper McKenzie came out for the ball but ensured he was fouled and appeared to see yellow for his efforts. In the very last bit of action Mark Whatley was yellow carded for dissent for disagreeing with a decision which was debateable at least.

The final whistle sounded as Cove Rangers won 2-1 in a closely contested game but it was clear to see why they are going to be champions come the end of April and equally why Montrose with a dogged performance will end up with a play-off spot again as against most sides they would likely have won on the day.

No stand out player for Montrose but credit to Craig Johnston who gave his usual indefatigable display of pace and fully deserved his goal.

Report by Steve Doyle

Team Lineups & Stats

cinch league 1

Saturday 19th March 2022



21  Allan Fleming
1  Stuart McKenzie
15  Mark Whatley
2  Morgyn Neill
3  Andrew Steeves
4  Connor Scully
14  Seán Dillon
5  Scott Ross
4  Matty Allan
8  Blair Yule
8  Paul Watson (c) (s72)
9  Mitch Megginson (c) (s82)
6  Terry Masson (s85)
13  Rory McAllister (s73)
22  Lyall Cameron
16  Iain Vigurs
20  Cammy F Ballantyne
24  Fraser Fyvie
16  Craig Johnston
25  Shay Logan
11  Blair Lyons (s45)
26  Mark Reynolds
18  Elijah Simpson (s72)
4  Jamie Masson (s73)
10  Lewis Milne (s45)
8  Leighton McIntosh (s82)
9  Ross Campbell (s85)
11  Ola Adeyemo
5  Tristan Baxter
15  Robbie Leitch
7  Luca Giacomini
17  Kai Fotheringham
17  Kaden Houghton
23  Kyle Gourlay (GK)
1  Aaron Lennox (GK)

David Dickinson

Assistant Referees:
Graham Chambers, Paul McAvinue

Montrose - Craig Johnston (38)
Cove Rangers - Mitch Megginson (6), Fraser Fyvie (32)

Yellow Cards:
Montrose - Paul Watson (40), Terry Masson (42), Mark Whatley (90+4)
Cove Rangers - Blair Yule (23), Mitch Megginson (39), Stuart McKenzie (90+3)

Red Cards:




Contact Us

Links Park Stadium

Wellington Street
Angus DD10 8QD

Tel: 01674 673200

Fax: 01674 677311
Operations Manager: 01674 673200